At Nevada Humane Society, we believe in lifelong commitments to companion animals and work tirelessly to create and maintain those bonds. However, we do understand that there are circumstances that prevent you from being able to keep your pet, and we are here to help you through that difficult time.
Surrendering your pet to Nevada Humane Society should be considered a last resort, but we do accept pets by appointment from both Washoe County and Carson City residents. Please consider all available options prior to contacting the NHS Admissions Office for an appointment.
Alternatives to Surrendering Your Pet
- Contact our Animal Help Desk at (775) 856-2000 ext. 200 or email us at email@example.com
- Contact Nevada Humane Society Pet Pantry at (775) 856-2000 ext. 337
- Need medical financial assistance? Click here for resources.
- Enroll your dog in a behavior training class
- Learn about how you can train your pet from our Behavior Assistance handouts
- Learn about low-cost spay/neuter services through the NHS Clinic
- Learn about how you can find your pet a new home
- Here is more information on rehoming you pet. “How to Find a Home.”
How to Surrender Your Pet
As a last resort, Nevada Humane Society accepts pets from residents of Washoe County and Carson City at the respective shelter locations. Admissions are accepted by appointment only during the hours of 11 am to 4 pm, Monday through Saturday. For surrendering in Washoe County, please call (775) 856-2000 ext. 200 and for surrendering in Carson City, please call (775) 887-2171.
You will also be asked to fill out a surrender form and sign a legal release of ownership.