At Nevada Humane Society, we believe in lifelong commitments to companion animals and work tirelessly to create and maintain those bonds. However, we do understand that there are circumstances that prevent you from being able to keep your pet, and we are here to help you through that difficult time.
Surrendering your pet to Nevada Humane Society should be considered a last resort. Please consider all available options prior to contacting the NHS Admissions Office.
Alternatives to Surrendering Your Pet
- Contact the NHS Pet Help Line at (775) 856-2000 ext. 200 or email us at
- Contact NHS Pet Food Assistance at (775) 856-2000 ext. 200
- Enroll your dog in a behavior training class
- Learn about how you can train your pet from our Behavior Assistance handouts
- Learn about low-cost spay/neuter services through the NHS Clinic
- Learn about how you can find your pet a new home
How to Surrender Your Pet
As a last resort, Nevada Humane Society accepts pets from residents of Washoe County who can no longer keep them. Admissions are accepted by appointment only during the hours of 11 am to 4 pm, Monday through Saturday. Please call (775) 856-2000 ext. 200 for more information.
You will also be asked to fill out a surrender form and sign a legal release of ownership. The surrender fees are as follows:
- Spayed/neutered adult dog or cat: $25
- Intact dog or cat: $50
- Litter of kittens or puppies (each animal): $20
- Spayed/neutered rabbit: $25
- Intact rabbit: $50
- Other small animal: $20