Poison Prevention Month
March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month and we want to help make sure all the pet parents out there are aware of the dangers of accidental pet poisonings and know how to prevent them.
Many items commonly found around our homes can be dangerous to pets, including:
- Chocolate, particularly bakers and dark chocolate.
- Xylitol, the sweetener used in sugarless gums and candies, as well as some medications.
- NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen found in products like Advil and Aleve.
- Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications.
- Rodenticides (mouse poison).
- Lilies and all plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, Tiger and Asiatic lilies.
- Household cleaners that are concentrated, such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners.
- Flea and tick treatments that are created for use on dogs.
- Antidepressants, such as Cymbalta and Effexor.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, call the Pet Poison Hotline right away: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/
Signs & Symptoms
Poisoned pets may display mild to severe symptoms, depending on the amount and type of poison they have ingested. Call your Veterinarian immediately if you notice:
- Excessive drooling
- Lack of appetite
- Pale gums
As pet parents, it’s essential to the health and safety of our fur babies that we do everything we can to keep them safe. Our friends and partners listed below also have some great resources related to pet poison prevention we recommend you reference for additional information on keeping your Furry Soulmate healthy and safe.
For more information on ways to keep your pet healthy and happy, visit our Pet Health section.