Today is National Take a Hike Day, which means it is time for you and your furry friend to get outside! Bundle up, grab some sneakers and follow this list of dog friendly hikes in the Reno-Tahoe area. This is a great excuse to get you and your pet some fresh air and exercise.
Look for a trail that will allow your pup to go along with you. That is why we have compiled a list below in case you need some inspiration!
- The Hunter Creek Trail in Reno, Nevada is an approximately 6 mile long out and back trail. It is rated moderate on AllTrails and allows for a waterfall viewing at the end.
- Evans Creek Trailhead is in Reno, Nevada and a 3-mile loop hike, it is rated as an easy hike. This trail offers views of the city, a chance to see the “N” monument, and other trails that split off in other directions.
- Upper Thomas Creek Trail is located near Reno, it is a shaded trail known for its beautiful colored trees in the fall. This trail is 14 miles long, but you can start at various points along the way. It is rated as moderate by AllTrails, but reviews say it is fairly flat.
- Eagle Rock Trail is located outside of Tahoe city, CA and has beautiful views to enjoy. This is an out and back trail that is only 0.7 miles long, but is mostly uphill. It is known for being family and dog friendly with gorgeous views of Lake Tahoe.
- The Truckee River trail is a multi-use trail that follows alongside the Truckee River from Truckee to Tahoe City. This is a paved trail if you are looking for more even ground. It is a point-to-point style trail (Truckee to Tahoe City), 7.5 miles long, and is rated as easy on AllTrails.
- Fallen leaf Lake Road is a path that you can take around the beautiful lake to get views from all sides, outside of South Lake Tahoe. In total, it is 7.8 miles long and is rated as moderate on AllTrails. The reviews state that many found it fairly easy.
AND many more. So, whether you are an avid hiker or not, take this time to get you and your pet moving!